Re: [Xen-API] XCP + RAID

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Scott Zupek <scottz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:28:17 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:32:42 +0000

On 12/22/11 7:33 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
You will not gain any performance boost with fake raid - it offload all operations on host, this is exactly same as normal software raid. The single reason fakeraid exists is 'faking' raid existence for windows, may version of it does not support mirroring (all desktops windows, f.e.). It have no meaning for linux. \
Your point was understood the first time, no fake raid. Got it.

Anyway, I can say one thing: don't do this. Any lowlevel manipulation with 'fakeraid' and XCP will make you getting a nasty problems you will need to fix by yourself (without community help).

If you playing with XCP - turn 'raid' to 'hba' (sata ahci) in bios and use a single drive.
At this point I am trying to install Debian on a software raid but I can't get the darn thing to bootup. Raid has been turned off and all 4 SATA3 drives are set to ACHI mode.  Grub is a nightmare and apparently "mdm raid" software is the way to go. I have been trying to get this to work for a few days now.

If you wants to use this in product - think about proper hardware. nForce is NOT A SERVER solution.

I completely understand the nForce is NOT a server solution, but in all reality, this is 1 server hosting 3 or maybe 4 servers for my I.T. consulting company. I don't need top of the line performance so I don't need the 1000+ USD raid cards. nForce has yet to fail me and I am not runnign a data center, so those speed differences are negotiable. nForce is still a hardware solution, but moreso geared towards high end users/workstations.  Regardless I gave up on the hardware raid as that system board didn't support AM3+.  I understand that I am between a home user and a business class/enterprise user.  That's why I am trying to get Xen Hypervisor and XCP to work correctly. :)

PS XCP supports up to 32 cores, so 8 core shall works fine.

That is actually great to know.  Thank you.  It sounds like I'll have to get XCP to work with Xen Hypervisor running on top  Debian (with DOM0 kernel).  Since it's not as easy as the XCP ISO/Hypervisor, hopefully I can get it to a manageable state using XenCenter.  speaking of, is there a "better"/more unified management tool beyond XenCenter? I don't want management to be complicated, I am just curious.

Thank you for the help/responses.  This is all new techology(software wise) to me and I love learning as I go. I apologize if I am filling the mailing list with off topic material.  Since it all goes back to XCP-API I thought it might pertain.

Scott