Re: [Xen-API] CrossPoolMigration

Hi Ruijin,

In XCP cross-pool migration definitely requires some extra storage magic, since
storage can only be shared within a pool.

If you are using vanilla xen then the storage is more under your direct
control. This is both good and bad: you have the ultimate in flexibility but
you also have to do a lot of stuff yourself.

If your research is mostly on the storage datapath then I would recommend you
write a tapdisk plugin (like the ones for .vhd support, mirroring etc) and test
it by manually setting up a tapdisk device with "tap-ctl". If you would like to
present it as "globally shared storage" to lots of hosts/ pools then you could
probably write a storage plugin for XCP... As part of the cross pool migrate/
storage migrate I'm working on a version 2 of the XCP storage control
interface. I'd like to publish an early draft of an API in the new year, your
feedback would be welcome.

Cheers,
--
Dave Scott