Re: [Xen-API] [XCP][BUG] minor glitch in opaqref data in xenstore

Hi Scott,

Looks like a thread hijack - sorry George.

The onboard SB950 is what is known as a "fakeraid" chip. Because it isn't true
hardware raid it doesn't present to the OS as a single device.
Don't waste your time trying to use the vendor-supplied linux driver for this
chip - there are many problems with this approach, some of them listed here
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/ .
I don't know what support exists in the XCP installer for software raid, but it
is possible to build a software raid set (RAID1 or mirrored) from an existing
single disk provided you have two preferably identical SATA drives.
I suspect XCP does support md devices in the installer and its probably just a
nomenclature issue and you didn't know what to look for.
If the XCP installer doesn't support sotware raid your best bet might be to
install XCP on the first disk and then build the raid set after the fact.

This link should get you started
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/articles/s/a/t/SATA_RAID_Boot_Recipe_9dc2.html

When booting from a raid set you'll need to ensure the md_mod and raid1 (if
thats what raid level you want) modules are loaded at boot time. They'll need
to be present in your initramfs. GRUB has built in support for booting from
software raid.

Dave