Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-users] New name for Kronos? [was XCP 1.5 availability]

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Scott Zupek <scottz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 21:33:04 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:33:28 +0000

On 12/15/11 7:08 AM, Mike McClurg wrote:
On 15/12/11 12:01, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 06:01:17PM +0000, Mike McClurg wrote:
On 14/12/11 17:32, Alex Perez wrote:
I would go a single step further, and suggest that you not use the term
"XCP" at all in the context of Kronos. There's already pleeenty of
confusion about exactly what is what. Right now, XCP means one thing, and
I would implore you to keep it that way.
One of the biggest effects of this confusion is that people are now
worried that XCP will become completely unstable, like Fedora versus
RHEL, and thus won't be suitable for serious enterprise deployments.

Perhaps just calling it Kronos is a good idea. Though our packaging is
nearly complete, and they are all prefixed with 'xcp-'... I suppose we
can leave that as it is, since it is the XCP toolstack we're installing.
Does anyone else feel this strongly about calling it Kronos, and NOT
mentioning XCP?

Imho, if possible, the debian/ubuntu package names should be changed,
xcp- in the deb package names will cause a lot of confusion.

xapi- is better, or kronos-, for the deb packages.

I think 'xcp' should be used only for the .iso image appliance..

So, I hate to use this as an excuse, but there are actually already a
few of our Kronos packages in Debian Sid right now with the name xcp-*.
I actually think this is a good thing, because those packages are
software that came from XCP, so to me it makes sense to call the
packages xcp-blah.

How about this compromise: We call "traditional" XCP, the thing that's
based on CentOS and is delivered as a standalone ISO, the "XCP
Distribution". We can then call the Kronos packages, the set of software
that is installable on Debian and Ubuntu (and hopefully other distros in
the future), the "XCP Toolstack".

I think that this solution will remove some of the confusion about which
thing is which. Will this be an acceptable compromise to everyone?

Mike

Okay I am pretty good at dumbing things down and being the dumb guy(that's a skill, right?). Obvious this product/discussion isn't for "i buy everything at best buy" clientele, but it should be relatively easy to understand.

XCP is a platform to present, speed up, standardize and help manage XEN-Hypervisor, correct? (no gui, just CLI)

Kronos is a toolstack to do what? Also help manage the XCP, which is on top of Xen-Hypervisor, like XenCenter? If so, leave it at Kronos (personally I know too many apps called Kronos, but i worked I.t. in a mortgage company and all those apps had different weird names). If I am right and Kronos is something to help manage Xen Hypervisor (with or without XCP?) then I would name it SOMETHING to do with Xen but NOT XCP. Maybe XronAPI or something.

If kronos is another layer AFTER XCP(and XCP is required) I would tie it to XCP prefix. If XCP is not required, leave XCP alone. I, a beginner/getting there XEN Hypervisor user, only used XCP because it was the easiest to install and easiest to manage. I really don't like Xen Center at all, but everything else was kind of a bust. And I tried and searched for probably 20 hours straight.

So my opinion for what it's worth is I WANT A CLEAR DEFINITION OF WHAT KRONOS is and how it's different from XCP and what are the benefits to a normal admin (not a super high level Linux user). Does it REQUIRE XCP? Sorry I am really trying to just help... sometimes when you are in the thick of a project so long you forget just how confusing and deep it is to everyone else.

Scott