[Xen-API] making it easier to install VMs on XCP

  • To: xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:06:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:08:15 +0000

Hi,

I've been chatting to various people about ways of making it easier to install
VMs (particularly Linux ones) on XCP. If you're a CLI user then it takes quite
a few steps to (eg) set up a network install of a debian VM. I think we can
make this a lot simpler; I've made some notes on the wiki:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Making_it_easier_to_install_VMs_on_XCP

It would be awesome if you could install a VM like this:

# xe vm-install template="Debian 6.0" new-name-label=debian auto-install=true
# xe vm-start vm=debian

And have sensible defaults (e.g. network URL, preseed file) used throughout.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Dave