Re: [Xen-API] xen-api-libs unit tests

  • To: 'Sergei Lebedev' <superbobry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:24:56 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:25:33 +0000

Hi Sergei,

> 1. Have you considered switching (at least partly) to property based testing
> [*],
>  which works nicely for pure functions (for example most of the stuff from
> `stdext`
>  can beÂcoveredÂin no time).

Yes, I think property based testing would be great. Since we use type-conv (via
rpc-light)
to generate marshalling code from ocaml types, perhaps we could also use it to
generate
streams of random values, which we could run through a property-checker. That
would
cut down on the required boilerplate.

> 2. This is a bit unrelated, but anyway -- why don't you use ExtLib or
> Batteries,
> instead of `stdext`? Obviously, the goal is the same for all three of these
> libraries.
> And it would be really nice to see Batteries or ExtLib in a project as big as
> XenAPI.

:-) I also agree that we should probably standardize on some other library.
'stdext'
is really a big bag of functions which lacks a clean interface / nice usage
convention.
I've not had the chance to use ExtLib or Batteries. I did attend Yaron Minsky's
tutorial
at CUFP on Jane Street's Core Async library which seemed very well designed --
I think
Core is worth a close look.

Cheers,
Dave