[Xen-API] Re: Project KRONOS - Networking

On 09/01/2011 02:29 PM, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
Hi,

I managed to adapt the interface-reconfigure and other related scripts
to enable networking
for xapi on debian, using openvswitch. I have not yet attached the
modified files to my mail because
there is still some parts I need to modify (the non-openvswitch one for
example).

So actually it's working, I can create bonds, vlans and attach them on a
virtual machine.
Configure management interfaces etc...

Attaching a network to a linux vm is fine, the networking is working.
But if I try to start a windows (qemu) vm with the same network attached
i get this error:

01.09.2011 15:21:16 Error: Starting VM 'Win2008-64bit-R2' - Internal
error: device model failed to initialise: qemu-dm exitted unexpectedly

Without the network attached it works.

You will find attached the corresponding xensource.log entries

If someone has an idea ?

Once again, thanks for all the help with the Kronos testing you're doing. Our network guy is planning on doing a complete rewrite for the next XenServer release, but hopefully he'll have it done soon enough that we can use it in Kronos.

HVM domains get built with an emulated network card, and then once the domain is initialized they are given a paravirtualized nic. It could be that there is something strange going on in this HVM nic initialization code that's not working right with Kronos.

Feel free to send your version of interface-reconfigure directly to Jon and I, if you're not ready to release it publicly. We can start testing it ourselves as well, and maybe figure out the HVM problem.

Mike