Re: [Xen-API] xapi-autobuilder - Ubuntu WIP

On 26/07/11 18:20, Outback Dingo wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is here:

/usr/sbin/pbuilder: line 120: /var/cache/pbuilder/build//18508/run: Is a directory

That's a bug with the version of pbuilder in ubuntu:

I worked around this by installing the pbuilder from debian unstable on my ubuntu box.

Incidentally, what you're doing is building the debian version of the package rather than the ubuntu versions - you'll have to fix up pbuilderrc.in and maybe the invocation of pdebuild too to build packages for ubuntu.

Thanks much appreciated though i got a message on IRC that 1) I need to use 32 bit, as blktap wount build on 64bit as of yet, so...
Im looking into seeing If blktap is already supported by my Ubuntu xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 and 3.x kernel which would i think would
negate its requirement i would think, or hope...

I think that there might be some confusion about what blktap is. blktap is different from blkfront and blkback -- those paravirtual block device drivers that make IO possible on Xen PV domains. blktap (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/blktap) is a combination kernel module and userspace tool that replaces the loopback driver for file-based virtual machine images. This gives much better performance than using the loopback driver to mount these images.

blktap is not included in the mainline Linux kernel, and it is also not included in the Ubuntu Xen kernel. You don't need blktap to run Xen, but you do need it to run Xapi (at least, you need it if you want Xapi to start VMs for you). So, there is still a very real requirement for blktap if you want XenAPI on Debian, and no one I know has successfully compiled and run blktap on 64-bit.

I believe that Daniel Stodden is working on getting blktap to compile on 64-bit, but actually testing it and supporting it on 64-bit with the rest of XenAPI aren't on the top of our priority list right now.

Hope this clears up the confusion!

Mike