Re: [Xen-API] Dom 0 not able to install on 32 bit sys

  • To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Carlton Brown <carlton.brown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 03:41:30 -0400
  • Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:38:07 -0700

Rushikesh (et al);

I'm fairly new to the Xen thing, myself, although I have a long
history as a programmer in *nix environments.  I have only recently
run a successful 32-bit build of the hypervisor, but
I have not yet successfully booted a working, usable environment.  I'm
not convinced that my build is functional - just that it did build to
completion, successfully.  There were a lot of dependencies that I was
not aware that I needed, when I embarked upon this task.  I still seem
to have run-time problems, and debugging them may be a little out of
my league - I was a network communications programmer, not a kernel
programmer.  Thankfully, I'm not working at the moment, so I have some
time to climb the learning curve - and that's what I'm doing now.

Admittedly, it'd be easier if there were a usable 32-bit XCP distro
already available, but the Xen 3.0 LiveCD boots and runs on my system,
so I'm fairly confident that I can get this running (given enough
time).  When I do, I'll write up a web page on the subject.  If I'm
able to do a generic 32-bit build and put it up for download, I'll do
that, too.  Of course, my focus is on my own equipment
configuration...  :)  I'm not even really a Xen user - more of an
evaluator - so I am a very long ways away from being anything
resembling a qualified XCP developer.  My hardware configuration
consists of Dell PowerEdge 1750's - 5 of them.  Cheesy hardware for
the task, but it's what I have...  :)

I have not been evaluating Xen to run within VirtualBox or VMware.
VMware is expensive commercial software (or was, the last time I
checked), and if I had those resources I'd simply buy 64-bit hardware
to eliminate the current problem.  VirtualBox was recently taken over
by Oracle, and they have a reputation for destroying open-source
freeware apps that they get control of - by commercializing them,
butchering the product, changing the license so as to make it
effectively unusable, closing source code, and/or destroying the
supporting community.  On the basis of their reputation, I eliminated
VirtualBox as a viable option for my situation.  I am frankly a little
concerned that Citrix may be doing the same to Xen, based upon recent
community and download website issues - but Xen remains the best
available virtualization option for my circumstances, so far.

Any help is welcomed, since I'm pretty sure that working on Xen is a
full-time (or nearly full-time) job, and climbing the learning curve
to understand the innards is going to be a task comparable to (if not
the same as) becoming a kernel programmer.  I'm probably doing
something very simple - and doing it wrong - and when I find out what
it is I'm probably going to feel like a moron.  Less so, if I can
figure it out with less of an investment of wasted time...  :)

Carlton