Re: [Xen-API] Alternative to Vastsky?

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tim <tim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 01:09:56 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:10:27 -0700

On 19/04/11 23:21, George Shuklin wrote:
I think we shall split this to three different scenarios:

1) local storage redundancy of local storage within terms of single host (e.g. software RAID support, I think this require a little tweak of installer to create RAID1 instead plain /dev/sda installation)

This works quite well - I do it manually for each host after installing. It would be less painful XCP could be upgraded using yum. That way there wouldn't be a need to re-do it after each upgrade.

2) local storage redundancy within pool with limited host replication (primary/primary DRBD between two XCP hosts, similar to current /opt/xensource/packages/iso shared ISO SR)

I use this as a backing for an LVM storage repository. The only problem I can foresee, is that I'm not sure if DRBD supports multi-path. Network problems in a primary-primary setup would lead to split-brain with different VMs running on different brains....... I can't imagine that being fun to solve.... I'm using a crossover cable and it seems to work well - very reliable but definitely not scalable.

3) Supports for external storage supports replication and clustering and many other enterprise-level buzzwords.

Most interesting is third.

Right now I have plans to test iscsi over DRBD with muplipath to both iscsi initiators (never test this, but it may be interesting), alternative is corosync/pacemaker clustering for NFS/ISCSI + DRBD...

If I am understanding you correctly, I have tried this setup. Two iSCSI targets kept in sync using DRBD, with multi-path between the initiators and targets. This was replaced with the aforementioned solution when the hosts were upgraded. It only required two servers as opposed to four, no additional switches, there were fewer points of failure overall, and it removed the processing overhead/latency caused by the iSCSI layer.

I can imagine it would be of use in a situation where you had multiple initiators, but it would then run the risk of being the bottleneck.

I also tried an active/passive DRBD pair with iSCSI/multi-path, with fail-over managed by pacemaker/heartbeat. Write performance was marginally better, but the problem was insuring that the fail-over worked as planned.