[Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] About XCP OpenNebula integration

  • To: Tino Vazquez <tinova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 00:08:06 -0500
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:08:39 -0800

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Tino Vazquez <tinova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,

You're probably also going to want feedback from the xen-api list,
adding them to the CC.

> We (the OpenNebula Team) are very interested in integrating OpenNebula
> with XCP.

Great! We (Xen.org) are very interested in helping you with the process.

> At the moment, OpenNebula can interface with the Xen
> hypervisor, but since XCP appears to be much more than just Xen, I
> would like to ask a couple of questions to the XCP developers in order
> to define the direction we may take on this integration.
>
>  * At the moment, ONE creates a text file that describes the VM in
> terms that Xen understands, and this is processed by the "xm" command.

XCP has a near equivalent with the xl command, which uses the libxl
backend. Backwards compatibility (with the exception of being able to
use arbitrary python code embedded) is the goal.

> In XCP, there is a "xe" command with a completely different set of
> options. The question is: can the same text file be used to launch a
> VM in XCP? Or the approach must be something different, using the
> functionality offered by "xe" or by XAPI?

xe is a frontend to xapi. You will likely need a new driver for this.
There is work in progress on the libvirt side of things for xapi
support

This thread made shed some more light on the issue
subject: "[Xen-devel] Re: [libvirt] [RFC] libxenlight driver"

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=libxenlight+rfc#query:libxenlight%20rfc+page:1+mid:r3ez5hr6j6qzwoem+state:results

> * Can we get access to the "xm" command on a XCP server? Is there ways
> to access the built in Xen hypervisor? Or XCP is so different that
> this is not possible?

see xl command from above.

> We would appreciate any feedback on this. We are committed to
> integrate OpenNebula and XCP, so any help will be more than welcome.

Please let us know if you need more detail or have more questions.

Thanks,
Todd