Re: [Xen-API] book about xen

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:49:42 +0300
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:49:47 -0800

As far as I know there is no very deep book about XCP/XenServer
internals (if someone know it, name it please).

About Xen (Xen is core of XCP) there is one very cool and very hard to
read book: The Definitive Guide to Xen hypervisor. It really hardcore,
it really abstract and it really describe Xen internals. It will very
helpful when it come to learn XCP internals.

In very brief XCP consists of:

Xen (as hypervisor).
XenStore (as mandatory part of Xen to serve domU)
xenconsoled (daemon for console redirection)
VNCterm (service for converting /dev/pts/* to VNC connection)
blktap and netfront drivers
open vswitch as virtual commutator implementation
xapi (Citrix implementation of XenAPI, replace xend compare to normal
xen distribution)
squeezed (special service for VM memory management)
some services for hosts interconnection (ssl tunneling, service
restarting, etc).
Pack of shell scripts runned by xapi (they placed
in /etc/xensource/scripts).

Main focus in XCP is two key services: xapi ans squeezed, but from my
experience most problems come from side components, like LVM, ISCSI
initiator, etc.

Ð ÐÑÐ, 16/01/2011 Ð 17:36 +0000, Chris Percol ÐÐÑÐÑ: