Re: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] Generic PV Guests on XCP?

On 24 Mar 2010, at 19:45, Ian Campbell wrote:

> I don't think you want to start from a template here, since none of the
> existing ones meet your needs/usecase. You can create a basic VM
> instance with "xe vm-create" and then configure that however you need by
> modifying the various fields on the VM object. You may choose to convert
> it to a template for convenience of instantiating multiple copies (using
> "xe vm-install").

I find it a lot easier to clone the "Other Install Media" template and just set
the 3 fields to convert it into a PV template (clear HVM-boot-policy, set
PV-kernel to the MiniOS file in dom0, PV-args if you need).  I think my old
blog entry on Ubuntu HVM->PV has more of the gory details, but most isnt
necessary for MiniOS: http://community.citrix.com/x/4YINAg

> The consoles are exported via XenAPI in VNC format. You need a XenAPI
> client which is capable of attaching to these. Looks like
> http://www.xvpsource.org/ is the place to look?
>
> Personally I usually use /opt/xensource/debug/vncproxy (copied to my
> workstation) to create a local socket on my workstation which is proxied
> to the XCP host and then run vncviewer locally against that proxy.

To access the raw serial console by text (the equivalent of 'xm create -c'),
you first need to disable the VNC proxy from spawning (set the VM
other-config:disable_pv_vnc field to something), start the VM paused, and then
connect to it directly using xenconsole from dom0, and then unpause the VM

I use this small script in dom0 to automate this for a given VM uuid:
http://github.com/avsm/mirage/blob/master/scripts/run_minios

Although to be honest, for MiniOS work, I just find it far more convenient to
just use the lower-level Python toolstack, and then switch to XCP for the
higher level management stuff.

-anil