Re: [Xen-API] Re: Xen API call today 8am PST

xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/16/2007 05:18:01 AM:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:50:59AM -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
>

> Stefan asked about the recent sHype/ACM Xen-API patch, and what it would take
> to get that into the tree.  I said that, since I don't have expertise in this
> area, I'm going to need consensus from the other security folks with regards
> to the API.  I'd be looking for an agreement that XSM would drop into the same
> framework, in particular.

Here's my/our current thinking. It's difficult to imagine what an API for any future policy might look like that allows to do policy-specific operations and I'd rather have a policy-specific API than a generic one that is more work to program against (and circumvents all that great serialization/deserialization facilities availablle in libxen. -- see the other mail). So we regard the ACM policy as an example of a policy like VIF, VBD and VTPM are examples of devices. The latter three have their own classes with methods and properties that are specific to each device-type for porviding funcationality specific to each device. Similar is true with policies. So we'll have a policy class 'XSPolicy' that allows you to administer the policy on the system, put a new one in and load it into the hypervisor and get a reference to the current policy. That reference is then used to make policy-specific actions on a policy-specific class, i.e., ACMPolicy for manipulations of that type of policy. Someone inventing a new policy subsystem for Xen needs to come up with a new class, extend xend's logic and extend the HV, which is all true anyway no matter how the API looks like, since ACM-specific code won't likely apply to any other policy.

> Previously, I suggested that this would be a good thing to discuss at the next
> Xen Summit when everyone's together, and I still think that that's a good
> idea.

The only concern here is that afaik the next Xen summit is only in April.

   Stefan