Re: [Xen-API] Fwd: Getting VM stats

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:54:10AM -0800, jdsw wrote:

> Do you guys have any suggestion ?
> (I did not get satisfactory answers to each of the questions on dev forum)

Sorry I didn't reply before -- I thought that you were happy with the
answer you got from Tim Wood re XenMon.

> In addition is there a plan for a streamlined access to things happening
> in Domu information through Dom0. For example: Top process information in
> a DomU available through Dom0 ?

There isn't a plan to work on a protocol for transport of arbitrary stats out of
domUs at the moment.  There are things that we can collect in dom0 --
CPU and I/O load for instance -- that we intend to package up into the
Xen-API, to enable basic load monitoring.  This is pretty near the top
of my list for the Xen-API bindings, so if those stats are enough for
you, then that will be the best way to get them.  By the end of this
year or early next, you should be able to get these basic stats with a
15 line Python script.

More advanced statistics from in the guest, are best served with a
different tool, I think.  Everyone wants something different with this
regard, and there are plenty of good tools out there (Daniel mentioned a
few), that the best thing to do is run Nagios or whatever inside your
guest, and ship the collated stats out over the network, just as you
would with a native machine.

If what you're looking for is the One True Way to monitor your cluster,
whether you're monitoring dom0 or a guest, or the applications running
in the guest, then what you want is DMTF's CIM.  This is the long-term
answer to hetrogeneous monitoring and management, and we have a project
running at the moment (driven by IBM and Novell, with help from others)
to develop a CIM provider for Xen.

The answer to your question "why isn't there a standard transport and
format for all this information?" is that there is (or will be), and it is CIM.

Cheers,

Ewan.