Re: [Xen-API] grub/cmdline

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 01:56:18AM +0000, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> > > vm.grub.cmdline
> >
> > I'm not too happy with the eternal encoding of "grub" as the only internal
> > method. It doesn't cover other methods, and, for example, on Solaris, we
> > won't
> > be using grub at all.
>
> I can understand the concern with naming, but the semantics of "grub"
> include specifically that the grub config file will be parsed.  Think
> about it from the point of view of the guest, and upgrading of that
> guest.  You want to be able to say "I know that this grub config file
> will be parsed, and therefore if I change it, the right thing will
> happen".  If the boot method is "unspecified internal method", then what
> does that mean in terms of configuring the guest?

I don't quite understand what it's supposed to do though. The only thing pygrub
supports is --entry anyway.

I'm suggesting that kernel_internal have things such as:

.bootloader (bootloader path)
.kernel
.ramdisk
.args

For running domains, the last three would be filled in. For created domains,
they would typically be blank, but not necessarily. The way Solaris uses
pygrub, they can be non-blank.

> xen-unstable has the spec now -- that's the canonical latest version.
> It's in docs/xen-api.

d'oh - thanks!

john