Re: [Xen-API] New API Document and C Bindings

Gareth S Bestor/Beaverton/IBM wrote on 09/15/2006 09:57:44 AM:

> certainly the CIM model supports the notion of 'recursive' virtualization hosting.
> However, I'm unclear how much of that we want to try and slap into the API for
> xend; in particular, are you thinking the host system will now running multipe
> xend's, in different Domains?

> - G

You're correct to point out the differences between the CIM modeling goals and the Xen API (thanks, at this early stage, I often confuse the two).

I guess I'm saying that the Xen API should not preclude such a direct mapping from model -> implementation. In practical terms, this could include the existence of multiple xend's (or equivalent) on a platform. This could be for the parent -> child scenario I mentioned before, or it could just be a high availability issue (e.g., sort of a dom0 hot back-up). Granted, there's a lot of clever engineering needed to make any of these scenarios a reality :-)

So in summary, I tend to agree more with John's and Dan's approach (but I'd like to see some details in regard to the capabilities Dan mentions).

-Ron