Re: [Xen-API] Additional vm power state values

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:26:00PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:48:45PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> > Currently vm_power_state enumeration contains Halted, Paused, Running,
> > Suspended, ShuttingDown, and Unknown values.  Since ShuttingDown is in
> > the list can we add Activating, Suspending, (Migrating?)?  I point out
> > ShuttingDown because it, like the proposed additions, indicate that a
> > state transition is in progress.  I don't consider them vm power states
> > so perhaps they should be defined separately.
>
> Current xm tools also document another state 'crashed'  although I've not
> actually seen it in practice I assume it can happen if the PV guest kernel
> panics.

Good point, yes.  You've probably never seen it because the guest only
ends up like that if the on_crash=preserve flag is set, otherwise the
guest will be cleaned up automatically by Xend (unless of course you've
never crashed a guest, but I don't believe that for a second ;-)

You're right that this is another state that we ought to include.

Thanks,

Ewan.