Re: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:26:10PM +0100, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 12:51:42PM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 18:01 +0100, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> > >
> > > Like the OVA spec, this document is for narrow circulation, and once
> > > we are getting happy with it, we'll circulate it more widely.  I'd
> > > like to be able to circulate this before OLS, as that will be a good
> > > chance to discuss it with people face-to-face once they've had a
> > > chance to read it.
> >
> > I'm confused. You said this is an open mailing list, but this document
> > says "DO NOT CIRCULATE" on the title page?
>
> I would like to keep discussion and circulation of this document on this list,
> for now.  I'm happy for other people to join this list, and to see the
> document, but we've already had problems with people seeing this work out of
> context and getting confused.  I don't think that the document has enough in
> the way of explanation to stand on its own just yet, so I think that the best
> way to ensure that everyone gets the right context is to keep the discussion
> here on this list, just for a short while.
>
> Once we're happy that the document can stand on its own feet, in good time
> before OLS, then we can relax the circulation restrictions, change the
> copyright statement, and so on.

First, this statement is totally incompatible with Xen being an open source
project. You can not ask members of an open source project to read & review
documents with restrictive distribution clauses & threatening legalese on
them.

Second, the statement here is completely contradictory to the one posted
by your collague  Richard Sharp[1]

  "The document is free to circulate and entirely open. The "DO NOT
   CIRCULATE" was boiler-plate text that should not have been included
   on this particular titlepage. :)"

Given such confusion & contradictory statements, I request that the PDF document
be re-sent to this list with the restrictive text & legalese removed, thus
clarifying that the document is indeed open. I've have no issue with your desire
to keep discussion & circulation soley on tihs list for now, however, there is
no need for threatening legalese to achieve this - a simple polite request to
not distribute broadly when posting the document is sufficient.

Regards,
Dan.
[1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-api/2006-06/msg00012.html