[Xen-announce] Xen Project Security Policy Improvements: Get Involved

Dear Community Members,

The recent XSA-108 vulnerability resulted in a lot of media coverage, which
ended up stress-testing some of our policy and security related processes.
During the embargo period of XSA-108, the Xen Project Security Team was faced
with some difficult questions of policy interpretation, as well as practical
issues related to pre-disclosure list membership applications.

To ensure more clarity moving forward, the Xen Project Security Team started a
community consultation
(http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg00976.html) to
improve and better define the project’s Security Vulnerability Response Process
(http://xenproject.org/security-policy.html).

In particular we are seeking to clarify the following elements of the policy,
which surfaced during the embargo period of XSA-108:
* Sharing of information amongst pre-disclosure list members during an embargo
period
* Deployment of patches on public systems of fixed versions of the Xen Project
Hypervisor during the embargo period
* Service announcements to non-list-member users during an embargo period
* Clarifying criteria related to pre-disclosure list membership and making it
easier to verify them
* Processing applications of pre-disclosure list membership during an embargo
period

For more background and information read the e-mail thread on xen-devel@ called
Security policy ambiguities – XSA-108 process post-mortem
(http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg00976.html &
http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/44 to see the entire conversation thread in
one place).

If you use Xen Project Software in any way, we encourage you to voice your
thoughts to help formulate and update our security policy to ensure it meets
the needs of our entire community. To take part in the discussion please send
mail to xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you are a member of the list just
reply to the relevant thread. If you are not a member of the mailing list and
plan to respond to an e-mail that has already been sent you have two easy

 * You can reply to the message via our issue tracker
(http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/44) using the Reply to this message link at
the top of the message; or
 * You can retrieve the mbox from the issue issue tracker, load the thread into
your mail client and just reply.

participate – you may want to occasionally check the discussion thread activity
on this thread, to ensure you are not missing any activity.

Going forward, we will collate community input and propose a revised version of
the policy, which will be formally approved in line with Xen Project
Governance. We have not set a specific deadline for the discussion, but aim to
issue a revised policy within 4 weeks.

Best Regards
Lars