Re: [win-pv-devel] [Xen-devel] PVL XenNet inf

De-htmling and cc-ing win-pv-devel and dropping xen-devel to bcc...

---
From: Xen-devel [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dominic
Russell
Sent: 10 May 2016 06:25
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] PVL XenNet inf

Hello,

In the latest build of XenNet for Windows (April 1st 2016), it does not connect
automatically to the network card.  I found that the devide IDs are not right
in the inf file, they are :
XENVIF\VEN_XP0001&DEV_NET&REV_08000009
XENVIF\VEN_XP0002&DEV_NET&REV_08000009
they should be :
XENBUS\VEN_XP0001&DEV_VIF&REV_08000009
XENBUS\VEN_XP0002&DEV_VIF&REV_08000009
---

Hi Dominic,

No they should not. XENNET does not bind directly the to the PDOs created by
XENBUS; there is a class driver called XENVIF which fits in between. See slide
13 of the presentation at
http://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/windows-pv-drivers.html for a
diagram of how the Xen Project Windows PV drivers fit together.

---
Also, this driver, and the one before that one, both do not start and gives an
error 10.  Nothing in the logs of Windows, so I do not know what else to do.
This virtual computer had GPLPV previously.
---

Did you completely clean the GPLPV drivers from the VM before attempting to use
Xen Project drivers? If not then you likely have a whole load of conflicts
which are going to be hard to pick apart. I suggest you try to get your VM into
a completely clean state first... i.e. remove any oemX.inf packages you find
from driver store, remove any PV driver .sys files from system32 and blow away
any service keys for those drivers from the registry. Once you have done that
rebooted you can then start installing Xen Project PV drivers one at a time.
I suggest starting with XENBUS and then rebooting to make sure it becomes
active; that means making sure it creates PDOs and starts logging (it logs via
the Xen fixed I/O port 0x12, which is echoed to stderr by a suitably configured
QEMU). Once you have got to that stage then you should be able to install the
rest of the drivers: XENVIF (network class), XENNET (network device), XENVBD
(storage class) and XENIFACE (user interface).

---
I'm running xen 4.5.3.
---

That should be fine. I believe the drivers will function with any Xen from 3.4
onwards.

  Paul

--
Best regards,