Re: [win-pv-devel] Question about testing new windows pv drivers on xenserver

Il 24/03/2016 13:55, Paul Durrant ha scritto:
-----Original Message-----
From: Fabio Fantoni [mailto:fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 March 2016 12:49
To: win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Paul Durrant
Subject: Question about testing new windows pv drivers on xenserver

Hi, I'm going crazy about many upgrade/remove pv drivers problems, and
also other additional problem with windows 10 (big updates, ovmf pv disk
only ecc...)
I tried to do some fast tests with xenserver core and win pv drivers
signed with installer included for see if the same problems are
reproducible also with them or not.
I downloaded and installed XenServer Dundee beta.3, I saw that use xen
4.6 but qemu seems still use the old traditional instead.
I saw there is also the upstream one binary
(/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386), I did a fast google search and I
setted these in /etc/xenopsd.conf:
qemu-system-i386=/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386
use-upstream-qemu=true
And rebooted toolstack (xe-toolstack-restart) but seems it still using
qemu traditional instead (looking ps and initial boot screen).
I also tried:
chkconfig --del xenopsd-xc
chkconfig --add xenopsd-xenlight
following
https://lists.xenserver.org/sympa/arc/xs-devel/2014-01/msg00035.html
but trying to start the vm (with xe vm-start vm=...) the command
"freeze" without output and I found nothing in logs.

Is there anywhere an howto about using the upstream qemu with
xenserver?
In short, I'm pretty sure you can't. However, if you ask this question on the
xs-devel list (at xenserver.org) then someone from the toolstack team may be
able to advise how you might do it.

Thanks for your reply.
I supposed you are using xenserver core and upstream qemu, can you tell me what environment are you using please?

Added xs-devel for the question above, @xs-devel: can someone tell me how I can use upstream qemu with xenserver core using xapi please?
Other replies/questions below.

I also tried to do a fast install of a windows 7 domU using xencenter
and installing pv driver from guest-tools.iso  but I not understand if
are the new one (>=8.1) or older, based on version I found seems older,
or I'm wrong? In that case where I can find newer driver signed and
including installer (if exist) for doing some fast tests?

The tech. preview 3 drivers are the 8.1 drivers.

I download dundee beta 3 from here: http://xenserver.org/overview-xenserver-open-source-virtualization/prerelease.html Is the tech preview 3 you mean is the same or a different one? if different where I can found it? Another thing I want try is windows live snapshot with vss, I saw this: https://github.com/xenserver/win-xenvss but in drivers installed in xenserver from integrated guest-tools seems not available

My goal would be to test on xenserver with qemu upstream, new pv driver
(at least 8.1) signed with complete installer to see whether or not
there are the same problems that I have with xen and pv drivers
individual not signed.

Why do you need upstream QEMU?

Mainly for spice (that now is full features also upstream for hvm domUs using xen 4.6) Also needed for other features, for example I do occasional testing with ovmf (uefi support for domUs), pv disks using it (for faster boot) but unfortunately I can't consider to use it in production shortly because on windows 10 bigger updates disables the pv drivers making domUs not working, I suppose do it with not signed drivers but after long time waiting signed xen project pv drivers are still not available (I want try xenserver with the full signed one instead also for retry these tests)

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

   Paul