Re: [win-pv-devel] USB driver

On 12/16/2015 02:40 PM, Simon Martin wrote:
Hello Ross,

<snip>
Looking at the code here it looks like xc-windows should be replaced
by the existing xenbus implementation, just port xc-vusb to this
infrastructure.

Yes we are moving OpenXT away from these old pv drivers and towards the
upstream ones. xc-vusb will be ported to they new xenbus.

vusb-daemon should interface directly with Xen in Dom0.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by this; can you clarify?

 From what I can see vusb-daemon monitors USB events and should
interact with the xen usbback driver to make the plugged/unplugged
device available to the xc-vusb frontend driver.

However Fabio Fantoni said that the Xen usb passthrough currently in
development will also support hotplug, so not sure about this.

Your summary of what the vusb-daemon does is basically accurate. It monitors udev events, applies policy to the types of devices it sees and assigns (or not) devices to VMs. The assignment process is basically writing the xenstore nodes that tell the front-back pair to start the standard xenbus handshake. The usbback driver internally takes control of the assigned USB device's configurations and interfaces.

By hot-plugged I take it you mean hot-plugged into and out of VMs. If so then yes, this PV USB stack fully supports that.

--
Ross Philipson