Re: [win-pv-devel] Question about windows domU long boot time in xen and help for update libxl virtio patch (for a test)

Il 11/05/2015 11:55, Paul Durrant ha scritto:
-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Campbell [mailto:ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 May 2015 09:42
To: Wei Liu
Cc: Paul Durrant; Fabio Fantoni; xen-devel; win-pv-
devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Anthony Perard; Stefano Stabellini
Subject: Re: [win-pv-devel] Question about windows domU long boot time in
xen and help for update libxl virtio patch (for a test)

On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 14:28 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 05:47:25PM +0100, Paul Durrant wrote:
I'm using the seabios image from the Xen build. Turns out that it's
built with CONFIG_ATA_DMA off (because that's not set when you run
make defconfig). Turning that on manually in the config and rebuilding
makes things a *lot* faster :-)
Maybe we should turn that on in our build?
Right now we just consume the upstream defconfig without any
modifications, so my preference would be to try and get them to enable
ATA_DMA by default (i.e. by sending a patch).

If they don't want to do this for some reason (and those reasons don't
apply to us) then we should consider tweaking the config locally.

NB many distros want to ship only a single image, so getting this turned
on globally would be a better approach.

Agreed. I'll see if I can formulate a patch sometime this week.

   Paul

Ian.

I tested now rebuiling debian seabios I use enabling ATA_DMA and also ATA_PIO32 I saw disabled by default and FWIK should affect performance and now hvm boot time was decreased, thanks! About ATA_PIO32 what do you think? I not tried with it still disabled and only ATA_DMA for see difference, I must test also this case?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.