Re: [win-pv-devel] New windows pv drivers question

Moving xen-devel to bcc and adding win-pv-devel...

Fabio,

That's right. I have a blog to introduce the new Xen Project Windows PV Drivers
sub-project ready to go but it's run into some technical difficulties;
hopefully I'll get it out early next week.
Not all the code that is relevant to XenServer is necessarily relevant to the
wider Xen community; e.g. the guest agent and installer are very much
XenServer-specific and therefore they do not form part of the sub-project. All
the driver code is available on xenbits (under the pvdrivers/win directory)
though and it has been stripped of XenServer branding. (The branding is now
parameterized and applied at build time, so anyone can build their own branded
binaries should they wish to).

> Is possible start basic tests of them or there are still other important
> changes and/or fixes to do?
> If is possible start test them there is a testing build available or or
> should I do it?

I am setting up some build infrastructure as part of the sub-project - in fact
I just got it going for the first time yesterday - and I hope to have
un-branded binary packages available for the community in the very near future.
In the meantime, there are build instructions available on the wiki at
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Windows_PV_Drivers/Building which are fairly
straightforward, so you should be able to build your own. Happily Microsoft
made building drivers free again the with Windows 8.1 WDK as you can now use
the Visual Studio 2013 Express (i.e. free) edition compiler. Note that you
don't have to use the Visual Studio IDE; there are python scripts in the driver
repositories which wrap the msbuild utility so you can drive it all from the
command line :-)

AFAIK the drivers should work in pretty much any host environment: I have been
testing them myself on a recent build of xen-unstable using my own 3.14-ish
dom0 kernel and upstream QEMU. Just make sure you enable test-signing in your
VMs.

> Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

No problem. Please get back to me (cc-ing win-pv-devel) if you do run into
difficulties.

Cheers,

    Paul