Re: [Xen-users] Export VM Image

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 07:23 -0600, Pietro Paolini wrote:
> I haven't actually understood very well what is
> the difference between the regular Xen Hypervisor and the XenServer :|

XenProject.org is an open source project producing a hypervisor, similar to
how kernel.org produces the Linux kernel.

XenServer.org is like a distro which consumes Xen to produce an end
product, in much the same way as distros consume Linux, glibc etc.

> I started seeking for a way to export a vm's hard disk image but
> apparently the xl tool does not provide the "vm-export" command as the
> xm use to.
>
> What should I do ?

Your xl cfg will reference a disk image of some sort, there is generally no
need to "export" anything, you can just use dd to read a blk dev into a
file or qemu-img to convert between various image formats etc.

I expect you will find more knowledgeable people about an xl->XenServer
migration on the XenServer (i.e. incoming) side of things, including
existing tooling to help do this, over at www.xenserver.org.

HTH,