[Xen-users] root login : cannot execute sh

HEllo xen

I have a DomU which I configured as a vsftp server on a Debian install (install was made per debootstrap & pygrub).

Upon switching users,
I end up with a user *root: cannot execute sh :no such file or directory* at login => I haven't root access any more.

I'm confused, I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe
I only remember to execute: exec bash & exec sh.
My /etc/passwd file has a missing /bin/bash or /bin/sh PaTH upon root user. It now appends with sh  ..

I've asked the Debian list how to recover hand upon the system. Aiming I would need to edit the /etc/passwd I guess.

1)It explained either edit the boot sequence, press 'e' at grub => append init=/bin/sh or init=/bin/bash i.o. to access a automatic root shell.
Indeed at boot I end on root@(none):/#         =>         but I cannot edit the file.

2) boot on a liveCD. I have a Debian 6.0.7 CD but I'm afraid I don't know how to configure the  /etc/xen/PV-guest.cfg file if any needed.

How can I resolve this issue?
Also Is the liveCD a solution to consider? How can I

Thank you )