Re: [Xen-users] Serial Console Not Connecting to Dom0 on Ubuntu Server 12 Running Xen 4.1.3

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 15:58:08 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:59:27 +0000

Hello.

El 04/10/12 13:16, John McDermott CIV escribió:
I have what I think is a bug in the serial console interaction of Xen and
Ubuntu. Essentially, the serial console appears to work just fine until it is
passed off to dom 0 from Xen. Then it stops communicating with dom0, but still
communicates with Xen, if I use the control-A escape sequence. Google will not
show me anything related to this.

In order to get the serial console working and useful with Xen, several things are needed:

Make Grub talk serial.
The Grub config you pasted looks fine. I guess it's working and allows you to interact with the boot loader.
I use it like this:
GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=1 --speed=115200 \
 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1"

Make Xen talk serial.
Th config you pastes looks fine on that part too. Personally, I do not enable the serial console for the hypervisor itself. It happened to me that it broke the boot process. In case of remote troubleshooting and since I have access to Grub, i can enable it manually any time.
If I was enabling it, it would look like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="${GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN} com2=115200,8n1 console=com2,vga"

Make kernel output to serial.
That seems to be disbeled.
I use it like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyS1,115200 console=tty0"

Finally, getty shall be instructed to spawn a "login" on the serial interface:
# grep 115200 /etc/inittab
T1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 115200 vt100

Note that I always use the second serial port in my examples, probably it's not your case.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov