Re: [Xen-users] Error in "make tools" for Xen-4.2-unstable

On 17/03/2012 18:52, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 10:36 +0000, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
On 17/03/2012 18:18, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 09:42 +0000, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
On 17/03/2012 17:26, Ian Campbell wrote:
Please do not top post, it destroys the flow of the conversation.

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 08:40 +0000, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
Hi,

I have ran ./configure but it doesn't work and results in an error.
Which you have once again failed to actually read.

teo-en-ming@ubuntu-1110-amd64-desktop:~/xen-unstable.hg$ ./configure
[...]
checking for yajl_alloc in -lyajl... no
configure: error: Could not find yajl
You need to install the yajl library.

Ian.

Dear Ian,

I don't believe the steps are so tedious and complicated for
xen-unstable.hg. I have used the following steps for xen-4.1-testing.hg
and all went smoothly without errors.

make xen
make tools
sudo make install-xen
sudo make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=

Something must be wrong in the source tree for xen-unstable.hg.
No, there is nothing wrong, there have simply been some changes in
xen-unstable.

Xen now uses configure (AKA autoconf), in common with a large proportion
of open source software. It also has an additional dependency on the
yajl library. I don't think there is anything unusually burdensome about
either of those changes and in both cases an informative message was
printed.

Ian.

Dear Ian,

Is there a wiki for building xen-4.2-unstable, and if there is, are the
recent changes reflected in the wiki?
These changes to the build have been reflected in the README at the top
level of the Xen source code tree, which is where the process for
building Xen has always been documented.

Ian.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)

Dear Ian,

I have written out all the steps for building and installing from Xen-4.2-unstable, as follows:

Building Xen-4.2-unstable

If you wish to build and install from xen-unstable.hg instead,

cd
git clone git://github.com/lloyd/yajl
cd yajl
sudo apt-get install ruby cmake
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg
cd xen-unstable.hg
./configure
make world
sudo make install

I have also added the above steps into my Installation Instructions PDF document version 1.1.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)