Re: [Xen-users] Advice on HighAvailable/Failover Xen machines

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:24:19PM +0100, Florian Heigl wrote:

> But, now for the downside:
> EVMS is unfortunately quite dead, the OCFS2 plugin never made it into
> mainline, the heartbeat integration needs patches, the BBR patches
> need dm patches for the dom0 kernel, there is almost no irc support
> left, the devs are.. well, i don't know where AND as it was designed
> by IBM gurus it is really well thought through and perfectly
> structured, but INCREDIBLY annoying to use!
> Once you go into larger Xen setups you might have to handle 100s of
> volumes and on occassion it might be manually - personally i think the
> EVMS management is unbearable.

Agreed, its really heavy stuff. But at least it has names for each and
everything i was confronted with regarding storages yet  :)

> I still run my system on EVMS and i don't really see a good
> alternative for a logical-volume based attempt (yes clvm exists but,
> as always, can't mirror LVs in a feasible way)
The mirroring exists since 4.5 :
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/4.5/SAC_Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/mirrored_volumes.html
but it has problems and is far from beeing as nice as md-mirroring.

Christian