RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Paravirt_ops/hybrid directions and next steps

  • To: "Tristan Gingold" <tgingold@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:48:28 +0800
  • Cc: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:43:25 -0700

Tristan:
        We are talking about pv_ops interface calling convention, not
hypervisor API convention. It should not violate each other because we still
have hypervisor wrapper which can do the convertion.

        One thing in my mind is that when we do pv_ops, we stand in hypervisor
neutral position. Only when we implement xen hypervisor wrapper of pv_ops, we
stand on Xen.

        But yes, since we use single source, dual compile to generate code in
place. Actually those pv_cpu_asm_ops won't be used frequently, most of them are
not used. So even we use this policy, it is very few place which may use a
formal pv_ops for ASM code which imply the calling convention.  All IVT/gate
table/page doesn't have this issue.

Thanks, eddie