[Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [patch 00/15] ia64: kexec: Map EFI memory in the same location as Linux

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:27:56AM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 12:27 +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This series is what I believe to be a fairly complete set of patches
> > to map
> > EFI memory into the same location that Linux does.  The memory is
> > protected
> > by an RID so that it doesn't conflict with domain memory - which also
> > protects it from malicious access from HVM domains.
>
> Hi Simon,

Hi Alex,

thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there are a few problems,
but hopefully we have moved forwards.

With regards to patch 13, "ia64: kexec: Set page size identity mapping
of EFI in alt_itlb_miss", it is kind of amusing that you report that
your rx3600 works without it. Amusing because I have it noted down
as a fix to allow rx3600 to boot :-) I guess I got confused somewhere
along the way. I will drop it from the series.

As for the SAL calls failing, I was kind of hoping that problem would
have been solved by various other fixes that I made along the way.
But its not really surprising that its still there given that
I had not spent time on it specifically. Unfortunately
it doesn't manifest on any hardware that I have access to. Is it
possible for you to provide access to a machine for me like last time?

Incidently, my rx2620 has, the following. I updraded to that late last
year, though I notice that 4.29 was released even later last year, I
will try and upgrade.

   EFI Boot Manager ver 1.10 [14.62]  Firmware ver 4.27 [4721]

Lastly, with the superdome problem. I'm not sure that there is
much problem tackling that while the SAL problem exists.
I suspect the two are related.

--
Horms