Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: PATCH[1/2] Self IO EMUlator (sioemu) - Hypervisor part

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:53:03PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > If I understand correctly, they seem to have similar goals.
>
> Yes.

I'd like to complete this point.

My first goal was performance and flexibility.  I can't really comment on
performance but I humbly ( :-) think my approach is more promizing (for example
sioemu domains are already more NUMA friendly as their memory is allocated by
the domain itself).

I'd prefer to emphasis flexibility - which might not be a need on x86.
My sioemu firmware is able to emulate either a zx1 or a pc-like ia64 (with
very few devices).  It will be a nightware to do that with qemu.  For example
the domain memory map is spread among the hypervisor, the build and qemu
itself.  Adding an IO-TLB to the current qemu will require surgery.

The major drawback of sioemu is the current lack of devices: only serial
and IDE are emulated.  My next device will be the network.  Doing VGA
correctly is certainly not easy - but only Windows require it.

Tristan.