Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [RFC] dump core is failed for PAL_HALT

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 10:56:26PM +0900, Akio Takebe wrote:
> In linux side, panic() call smp_send_stop() before panic_notifier_list.
> And smp_send_stop() call PAL_HALT.
> So we cannot coredump guest memory,
> because smp_send_stop call domain_shutdown(SHUTDOWN_poweroff).
> Which way shold we choice?
>     A. we don't call smp_send_stop in panic()
>     B. we don't call PAL_HALT in xen_pal_emulator(),
>        and we call EFI_RESET_SYSTEM in machine_halt().

Choice C.
        Modify PAL_HALT emulation as follows.
        If other vcpu is left and alive, vcpu is put in sleep.
        If current is the last vcpu, call domain_shutdown(SHUTDOWN_poweroff).
        It will be guaranteed that the vcpu which call panic() calls
        HYPERVISOR_shutdown(SHUTDOWN_crash) via xen_panic_block so that
        the guest domain's core dump should be created.
        (I haven't tested it though.)

--
yamahata