[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: [Xen-devel] Please pull xen-ia64 bits

  • To: "Haavard Bjerke" <havard.bjerke@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:59:10 -0700
  • Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:58:52 +0000

There were some changes made recently in core Xen involving
the serial port.  The latest Xen/ia64 from xeno-unstable.bk
contains these changes and some additional changes to
the ia64-specific files to accommodate the core changes.

The core changes are very particular about the format
of the command line -- I'm not sure I fully understand
yet what variations work and what variations don't work.
If it doesn't work, there is no way to put out an error
message (though the core Xen code trys to :-)

Here's what I think works:  (This will find its way into
a README file soon.)

1) If your machine supports EFI PCDP (I'm told many HP
   machines do), Xen/ia64 will attempt to read console
   information directly out of EFI HCDP.  In some cases
   it can figure out the console, in others it can't.
   If it can, the command line for Xen should be the
   same as before, meaning no explicit console... the
   entire command line is passed to domain0.

   So your elilo.conf file may have something like this:

image=xen
 label=xen
 initrd=xenlinux
 read-only
 append="console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2"

2) If your machine doesn't support PCDP (or does but
   Xen can't figure it out), the Xen console must be
   provided in a very specific format.  The Xen command
   line is now separated from domain0 in the elilo.conf
   file using a double-dash:

        xenarg1 xenarg2 -- dom0arg1 dom0arg2 domarg3

   The Xen console must be specifed as
   comX=baud,bits,addr,irq, for example:

        com1=115200,8n1,0xff5e0000,9

   This works on my machine.  The following works on
   another machine with an SMP (management card):

        com1=115200,8n1,0xf4050000,9

   So your elilo.conf file may have something like this:

image=xen
 label=xen
 initrd=xenlinux
 read-only
 append="com1=115200,8n1,0xff5e0000,9 -- console=ttyS0,115200
root=/dev/sda2"

   If you specify any com1= parameter in the Xen part, this
   overrides any attempt for Xen to try to use PCDP.

   Note that the irq number will be necessary for keyboard
   input which doesn't currently work in Xen/ia64 so is
   a no-op right now.

3) If your box is PC-compliant (most Intel boxes I'm told),
   the default Xen core code may just work...  I don't think
   any Xen command line needs to be specified.

This is all brand new so is subject to change.

Dan