Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update RC2 imminent

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 12:32 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 20/05/13 12:16, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 12:09 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> >> I think long-term we probably want to sort out the "right" way to do
> >> this -- ideally I think we'd like there to be a "config on next reboot"
> >> that one could manipulate while the VM is running -- manually changing
> >> such things as the number of vcpus or amount of memory, automatically
> >> updating things like the cdrom and the mac address.
> > We already have the manual version via "xl config-update", but that's
> > really just a workaround for the cdrom/mac address issues.
>
> Then is the problem:
> 1. The randomly generated mac is not being stored automatically in the
> config?
> 2. The mac is being clobbered when re-loading the config file on reboot?
>
> If it's #1, it seems like it should be relatively straightforward to
> sort out.

It's #1, but it's not straight forward to sort out.

The stored config is just the raw config file from the user, we don't
parse it in a form where we could modify and then regurgitate. We can
append lines. We could try and append a new vif line equivalent to (and
overriding) the user supplied one but with the mac addresses in place.
Or we could perhaps define a new internal config file option which lets
us set only the mac addresses for previously declared vifs.