Re: [Xen-devel] DomU trying to write on an IO Port

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 14:12 +0000, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> I am running Xen in a virtual machine provided by qemu (qemu-system
> emulation) without KVM.

Please don't top post.

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         >  Now while running domU I want to write on an IO port, which I'll be
>         > handling inside Qemu. Basically, this is a communication mechanism
> for
>         > me to communicate with qemu. I am writing on port number '0x378' as
>         > root user using "outl" function. But when I run this code in domU,
> it
>         > does not reach qemu.
>         >
>         > So my question is: Is there  some mechanism in xen which handles
>         > writing on IO ports and in case its not a valid IO Port then just
>         > discards the write.

It should be pretty obvious that I/O operations performed by guests are
by default virtualised and not passed to the underlying hardware (which
is qemu in this case).

If you want a guest to be able to access real hardware then you need to
configure it appropriately.  In this case by using the "ioports"
directive in your guest configuration file (see xl.cfg(5)).