Re: [Xen-devel] compound skb frag pages appearing in start_xmit

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 15:27 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 15:17 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > Does the higher order pages effectively reduce the number of frags which
> > are in use? e.g if MAX_SKB_FRAGS is 16, then for order-0 pages you could
> > have 64K worth of frag data.
> >
> > If we switch to order-3 pages everywhere then can the skb contain 512K
> > of data, or does the effective maximum number of frags in an skb reduce
> > to 2?
>
> effective number of frags reduce to 2 or 3
>
> (We still limit GSO packets to ~63536 bytes)

Great! Then I think the fix is more/less trivial...

As an aside, when the skb head is < 4096 bytes is that necessarily a
compound page or might it just be a large kmalloc area?

Only really relevant since it impacts the possibility for code sharing
between the head and the frags sending.

Ian