Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] xen udev rule interfering with openvpn

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 16:26 +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 12:04 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] xen udev rule interfering
> >> with openvpn"):

> >> Ah, I see.  This sounds like more a job for a suffix than a prefix so
> >> if we can spare 4 chars I would suggest foo-emu.
>
> So what is the final prefix/suffix here?  Is it "emu-"?  Sorry, need
> to counter check :p

I think we have agreed on a "-emu" suffix.

> Question... vifname is limited to 16 characters?  If so, does the
> configuration for xm/xl check for its allowable length?  I mean if a
> user set vifname more than its allowable length in the domU
> configuration, would xm/xl show error?

I can't see any existing check for the length of the vif name.

It's a bit hard for us to do, consider a network driver domain running a
kernel which has a different, or no, limit here. libxl might not have
any idea what that name limit should be. We could pick an arbitrary
limit which is the smallest we know of, e.g. 12 chars (to allow +4), I
suppose.

BTW, the failure if your name is too long will be that the vif hotplug
script will fail to rename the device.

This limit has long existed and I don't recall ever having seen a report
about it, maybe the failure case is so obvious that people just fix it
and move on. I also expect that setting such a long name is rare...