[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO update
This update covers two weeks since I was away last week.
As usual please ping me with any updates/corrections. There are several
things below which are in need of a volunteer to take care of them...
* domctls / sysctls set up to modify scheduler parameters, like
the credit1 timeslice and schedule rate. (George Dunlap, DONE)
* libxl stable API -- we would like 4.2 to define a stable API
which downstream's can start to rely on not changing. Aspects of
* add libxl_defbool and generally try and arrange that
memset(foo,0,...) requests the defaults (Ian Campbell,
* Safe fork vs. fd handling hooks. This is an API
addition, so maybe not required fro stable API, bit need
to have for 4.2? (Ian J, patches posted)
* xl feature parity with xend wrt driver domain support (George
* More formally deprecate xm/xend. Manpage patches already in
tree. Needs release noting and communication around -rc1 to
remind people to test xl.
* Correct paging/sharing tools buffer mlocking (Tim, Andres, DONE)
* xl support for "rtc_timeoffset" and "localtime" (Nobody AFAICT)
* Domain 0 block attach & general hotplug when using qdisk backend
(need to start qemu as necessary etc)
* file:// backend performance. qemu-xen-tradition's qdisk is quite
slow & blktap2 not available in upstream kernels. Need to
consider our options:
* qemu-xen's qdisk is thought to be well performing but
qemu-xen is not yet the default. Complexity arising from
splitting qemu-for-qdisk out from qemu-for-dm and
running N qemu's.
* potentially fully userspace blktap could be ready for
* use /dev/loop+blkback. This requires loop driver AIO and
O_DIRECT patches which are not (AFAIK) yet upstream.
* Leverage XCP's blktap2 DKMS work.
* Other ideas?
hypervisor, nice to have:
* solid implementation of sharing/paging/mem-events (using work
queues) (Tim Deegan, Olaf Herring et al -- is this happening? is
it DONE even?)
tools, nice to have:
* Hotplug script stuff -- internal to libxl (I think, therefore I
didn't put this under stable API above) but still good to have
for 4.2? (Roger Pau MonnÃ, patches posted)
* Block script support -- follows on from hotplug script (Roger
* Configure/control paging via xl/libxl (Olaf Herring, lots of
discussion around interface)
* Upstream qemu feature patches:
* Upstream qemu PCI passthrough support (Anthony Perard,
* Upstream qemu save restore (Anthony Perard, Stefano
Stabellini, patches sent, waiting for upstream ack)
* Nested-virtualisation (currently should be marked experimental,
likely to release that way? Consider nested-svm separate to
nested-vmx. Nested-svm is in better shape)
* Initial xl support for Remus (memory checkpoint, blackholing)
(Shriram, patches posted, blocked behind qemu save restore
* xl support for autospawning vncviewer (vncviewer=1 or otherwise)
* support for vif "rate" parameter (No one, AFAICT)
Xen-devel mailing list