[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCH 1/4] (Refactored) provide vhd support to qemu
- To: "Ben Guthro" <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- From: "Andrew Warfield" <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:42:37 -0700
- Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:40:34 -0700
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=ell2Lp7Wgo2ijurufeIaTaub+VeF+mTGThGAvdNzhPIN0Kf2r+flLPZPBszuihglJSpv1Mb+19OG1KpRdCaOVcFqyFtQ610UU0gpzes/Ml125KOLWTVS9V42SchxohusNR7qpII+dGzJnDzMjwDhf0Fq7SrGR6RsPYzIfoXHass=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=kU6TTKjNhZX0JftqqdGrCOEwhuePMHDi6nTTk/5n3KwvZACbZVB70HRCRdiutpSRsy5mRFCfbWppBDXHcQ5s9vW5y1qR7WfgER/546MBJ24vXNiCL+iS4o/NN2uCKifJjlWDV5qGSzNhuouzyI+afRIE+Z8RIf9u7Sujr0DsFuc=
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
Thanks very much for these patches -- it would be great to see VHD
support added to blktap. I've taken a high-level pass over your
patches and have a few comments/suggestions:
1. Your patches add a vdisk abstraction. It's not clear that adding
another virtual disk interface (in addition to what is already
presented with tapdisk and used by the existing drivers) is a big win
-- especially since VHD is the only consumer of the new abstraction.
If the tapdisk interface falls short, can we evolve it to address
deficiencies rather than add another parallel interface?
2. Having both qemu and tapdisk instances go directly at the disk
isn't ideal. It would be much better to plumb qemu through tapdisk,
say through a dom0 block-attach, so that we implement drivers in a
single place, cache image metadata in a single entity at runtime,
3. It doesn't look like your VHD implementation does chained disks.
Am I missing something, or is this future work?
On 6/21/07, Ben Guthro <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[PATCH 1/4] (Refactored) provide vhd support to qemu
Provides integration of vdisk library, and implementation of block-vhd
Signed-off-by: Boris Ostrovsky <bostrovsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Signed-off-by: Ben Guthro <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Xen-devel mailing list
Xen-devel mailing list