[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Are driver domains available in Xen3.0.x?
- To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- From: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:47:42 +0530
- Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:16:26 -0700
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=FrxS4HlKp36RFLQ4OnDw7cyQuberIpFoNsojTEXe38sUGftT5IFFS03OOVwNS+nBhWOljraOQ6X2RwZ9TSLn4mYkiGugtfypMEsXKPfh5JvWe6ThoIdtWH/RAn/C2GMsRk5IcM8IR7L9D41DopmM5o0oj1RRmWMu3HLSsazdfYY=
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
On 4/27/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, driver domains are supported in the Xen 3 series since... around 3.0.2,
Grant tables are just used to control the sharing of memory. They're used in
supporting driver domains, but they're also used for other things.
Other things like?
Is it a bright idea to have a driver domain along with dom0 running to get good performance?
AFAIK hypervisor will treat the driver domain as a trusted domain like dom0, though not as much as dom0. Doesn't this means a faulty application/driver in domU, which works on driver domain can screw things for the driver
domain.Though i guess only the driver domain will die and rest of the domUs and dom0 and Xen hypervisor will keep working.
Can somebody help me getting my understanding correct over this?
On Thursday 26 April 2007, pradeep singh rautela wrote:
> On 4/26/07, pradeep singh rautela <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > i came across driver domains in Xen2.0.
> > Is this facility still provided in
> > If not, then does Xen rely on hardware IOMMU or Linux's bounce buffer
> > technique to give optimum device access performance?
> I guess grant tables are used
now.Am i right?
> Thanks again.
> Apologies if this has been already discussed, can anybody please point me
> > the link?
> > Thanks
> > ~psr
> > --
> > ---
> > pradeep singh rautela
> > "Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" - not me :)
Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no pedals!
Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a skateboard?
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
pradeep singh rautela
"Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" - not me :)
Xen-devel mailing list