[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal
- To: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- From: Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:56:04 +0100
- Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Virtualization Mailing List <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:03:15 +0000
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
On Mar 13, 2006, at 19:42, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:30 -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
and gives hypervisors room to grow while maintaining
binary compatibility with already released kernels.
that I buy for binary only hypervisors. But in an open source world
buy this a LOT less as being relevant.
Binary compatibility to Linux is pretty important for applications.
Even though Apache is open source, I don't want to recompile it for
every new Linux kernel. Fortunately I don't have to, because glibc
abstracts the Linux kernel interface. Consider VMI in the same role
as glibc -- when the hypervisor changes, VMI maintains compatibility
with your pre-existing infrastructure, while letting you have some of
the benefits of the new hypervisor. The upgrade and recompile game
can quickly end in a stalemate when you have packages with
conflicting dependencies (one package requires the old version, and
the other package requires the new version).
Xen-devel mailing list