[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Xen-devel] mini-guest io emulation
- To: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
- From: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:02:33 +0100
- Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:03:34 +0000
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=CMr9v9EC6ggVPF5CZG1Xd5g1HE9bMQjnoP/eYRad+9lEBe7kBaphrnmwrtbr6qNZFfPUbp9KrY8GQBMwDsA/yRuRGTrfoaBP3OeFT7j9ZFq8ZLHMwHgLRCFMUghyZnJmL6HfNF8INr50Fqz7Qd43en2kmzwrWmT4fK58pL9RIvE=
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
On 3/13/06, Nakajima, Jun <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For the "mini guest", I think it could be much easier if we
> substantially strip down xenlinux rather than adding (eventually) a lot
> of stuff to the current mini-os, mainly because we need probably a
> multi-threaded run-time environment, scheduler, memory allocator, event
> handling, drivers such as xenbus/netfront/blkfront, etc. At least, I
> think we can use xenlinux as the development platform. For example,
> implement the qemu-dm as a driver adding the infrastructure required
> (e.g. small in-kernel glibc).
It seems to me the main reason we needs threads and scheduling is to
interact with Xenstore. A page allocator can't be that hard to
implement. I wonder if the Xenstore API could be simplified in a way
that does not require threading, thus making the job of implementing
drivers in a min-os a bit simpler?
My feeling is that even a stripped down Linux would take some work to
maintain, at least if we wish to remove the need for hotplug scripts
for driver backends and the like from the miniLinux.
I have little interest in hvm guests, but having a functional mini-os
with an extensible, perhaps oskit- or TinyOS-like, structure would be
a huge win in a number of other situations as well. If I can I would
like to help. If the mini-os ever gets functional, I suppose it would
help to include it in the regression tests, to prevent the bit-rot it
is currently suffering from.
Xen-devel mailing list