[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Xen-devel] serial output of xen inside vmware?
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Aaron J. Marks wrote:
> i'd like to attach a serial console from a linux host to a vm running xen
> inside vmware 5. i attempted to get this to work using an old xen-devel
> post, but couldn't get it. is there a how-to floating around anywhere?
okay, i got serial output to a file to work, but can't seem to make an
interactive serial connection to xen. here's what i did:
1) compiled xen with env var 'debugger' set to 'y'
2) added 'com1=9600,8n1' to xen boot line
3) set virtual com1 in vmware to named pipe ("this end is client"/"other
end is app") called /tmp/xen-com1.
4) ran socat on host machine:
socat UNIX-LISTEN:/tmp/xen-com1,unlink-early,fork pty,link=/tmp/com1
to convert pipe to pty.
(both the pipe and the pty appear in /tmp)
5) booted xen in vmware (at some point, it stops sending output to vmware
-- a good sign)
6) connected to /tmp/com1 with kermit:
kermit -b 9600 -l /tmp/com1
7) typed ^A^A^A then 'h', but got no response.
what did i miss?
> ideally, i'd like to attach gdb to xen, but that may be asking too much.
> Aaron Marks
> Distributed Systems Lab
> University of Pennsylvania
> "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
> for a system of government."
> Xen-devel mailing list
Xen-devel mailing list