Re: [Xen-devel] forgot ARCH=xen

On 22 May 2005, at 10:23, James Harper wrote:

I've been doing some testing on a kernel driver which compiles
separately as a module, and after a few days of on-and-off testing have
just realised that I forgot ARCH=xen in the makefile and so consequently
it crashed and burned at the first spin_lock_irqsave().

Should xen have given me an error message here?

How did it crash and burn? The kernel ought to print an oops with the EIP pointing at the CLI instruction...

On unstable we currently silently fail CLI/STI, but propagating the fault up to the guest in all cases would give an obvious error if mistakenly using native drivers. Some people *want* to be able to use native drivers in XenLinux, but it is playing with fire in any case.

 -- Keir