Re: [Xen-devel] linux/arch/xen/i386 or linux/arch/i386/xen

* Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) (dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx) wrote:
> > > So I'd vote for:
> > >
> > > xen arch code in          arch/$(ARCH)/xen/
> >
> > that's effectively sub-arch
>
> The difference is admittedly very subtle (though probably
> not to some Linux kernel developer purists).  The question
> is whether xen is subsidiary architecture (which uses
> the mach- prefix) or whether it is functionality that can
> be turned on or off (no mach- prefix).

OK, how about one step at a time.  It's already a huge step to move
things around (between Kconfig, and tangled source, and headers...).
The advantage of move towards a known target (sub-arch) is there's
infrastructure in place to support it already.  I don't think it's a
dead-end to go there and then look towards the issues you brought up.

> And since this will appear hard-coded in include lines
> in source files, we do need to decide one way or the
> other.

Things move all the time, it's just a simple matter of patching ;-)
Or did I misunderstand you?

thanks,
-chris