RE: [Xen-devel] Tracking changes to writable page tables

  • To: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 10:50:26 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:49:59 +0000

> Hmm while we are discussing twisted things; would it be
> possible to implement writable page tables in the guest
> rather than in Xen?

We thought about doing this, but the data that's needed for doing the
tracking is very different from what an OS normally keeps. It would make
the hypervisor API very messy, and significantly increase the difficulty
of porting new OSes.

Doing it in Xen hides most of the ugliness and reduces the number of
protection domain crossings as well.

Ian