Re: [Xen-devel] recent major -unstable changes cause ia64 build to be broken

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:50:52PM -0700, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:
> > yes, except see above...  Could you check if including xen/mm.h in
> > ia64's apic.c file (only ia64 file including slab.h directly) and
> > including it at the end of xen/sched.h (before xen/slab.h gets
> > included) would be sufficient?  xen/sched.h is a #include-mess anyway,
> > so I'd rather add it there than in the now clean xen/slab.h...
>
> Good idea, but no it doesn't work.  I'm at a loss to explain exactly
> why, but I played with it quite a bit (e.g. putting it at the beginning
> of sched.h right after the include of xen/config.h) and none of
> the attempts compile.

Did you also try putting it at the end of xen/sched.h, just before the
include of xen/slab.h?  That's the only header file which includes
xen/slab.h, everything else but xen/arch/ia64/acpi.c is common code
or x86 specific code.  I don't see how including xen/mm.h from xen/sched.h
would be different from including it from xen/slab.h, especially when it's
done at the end where all of xen/sched.h is already parsed.  Even reversing
the two includes at the end of xen/sched.h (domain.h/slab.h) should do the
trick, since domain.h also includes xen/mm.h.

> These multi-level include dependencies are very touchy...
>
> If you want, I can set you up with the cross-compiler and
> you can play with it a bit.  That might be a good idea anyway
> if more "cleanup" is planned.
>
> Note that linux/include/linux/slab.h has many includes (though
> none of them are mm.h).  What is your goal of "cleaning up"?

xen/slab.h is very small and has no includes (except config.h) and there's
nothing in there that needs xen/mm.h.  I removed the 3 additional includes
so that 3rd party source code can include xen/slab.h (to get the xmalloc
definitions) without having to pull in all of Xen's header files.

    christian