[Xen-devel] recent major -unstable changes cause ia64 build to be broken

  • To: "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:16:32 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:16:08 +0000

It looks like the recent changes to update
to base off of 2.6.11 rather than 2.4 has badly
broken the ia64 build.  I'm still looking to figure
out exactly what is wrong but it doesn't look easy.

I'm all for doing this but:
1) Shouldn't such a major change that affects so many
   common files be done in a staging tree to ensure
   other archs don't break before putting it in
   unstable?
2) Is it really necessary to change the indentation of
   otherwise unchanged (I think) Linux files?  (see
   bitops.h)

Note that Xen/ia64 has included many of the new
Linux files for some time... I put them in an
include/asm-ia64/linux subdirectory and compiles
are done with -I.../include/asm-ia64 to resolve
the #include <linux/xxx.h> lines.  Perhaps something
similar could/should be done for x86 at least until
all the potential conflicts can be sorted out.

Dan

P.S. Perhaps now is a good time to install and try the
x86->ia64 cross-compiler?